It has been confirmed that North Korea has notified the Japanese government of its intention to launch a satellite in the near future.
The South Korean government has warned that any launch 메이저사이트utilizing ballistic missile technology would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions and would be met with dire consequences, while the US government has also urged restraint.
Reporter Ahn Yun-hak reports.
Japan’s Coast Guard says North Korea has notified it will launch an artificial satellite between 0:00 on the 31st of this month and 0:00 on the 11th of the following month.
It says that North Korea has communicated to the Japanese government its plan to set up a danger zone in the sea during this period following the satellite launch.
North Korea has also reportedly informed the International Maritime Organization (IMO) of its intentions.
Japan believes the North Korean satellites are actually ballistic missiles and has stepped up its vigilance, deploying surface-to-air guided missile patrols to three islands in Okinawa Prefecture.
It has also reportedly issued a “destructive action order” to its Self-Defense Forces to intercept it if it falls on Japan.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said he would work with South Korea, the United States, and others to demand strong restraint from North Korea.
[Hirokazu Matsuno / Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary: The series of North Korean actions threaten the peace and security of our country, the region and the international community].
The South Korean National Security Office held an emergency National Security Council (NSC) meeting under the chairmanship of National Security Chief Cho Tae-yong, reported the relevant contents to President Yun Suk-yol, and discussed countermeasures.
The government warned that it would have to bear the cost and pain of a response if it proceeded with the satellite launch.
It called for an immediate withdrawal as it would be a serious violation of a UN Security Council resolution prohibiting any launch utilizing ballistic missile technology.
The U.S. State Department also pointed out that the launch violates several U.N. Security Council resolutions, including those used to launch satellites.
It went on to say that it urges North Korea to refrain from further illegal activities and to engage in serious and sustained diplomacy.
Earlier, North Korea claimed last month that it had completed its first military reconnaissance satellite, with Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un visiting the site on April 16 and approving the “next action plan.
[KCNA / May 17: Military Reconnaissance Satellite No. 1, which has completed the final assembly status check and space environment test and is ready to be loaded].
If North Korea launches a ballistic missile with an “artificial satellite” designation, it will be about seven years after the February 2016 Kwangmyongsong.
This is YTN’s Ahn Yun-hak.